Westside & North Avenue
About the Westside & North Avenue Community
Ventura's historic Westside is one of the city's oldest, most economically and culturally diverse neighborhoods -- with a highly involved group of community members led by the Westside Community Council. Active in a revitalization plan, community members are helping toward the goals of protecting the character, history and small-town feel of the Westside. The Tortilla Flats Mural, installed in 2008, honors the families who once lived in and around the Westside Ventura neighborhood known as Tortilla Flats.
Westside Community Planning Project
Additional reading materials:
For more information regarding the different components of the Westside Community Planning Project please use the following links. Also listed is the contact information for each component, however if your questions or comments involve all aspects of the Westside project you can send an email to email@example.com and we will make sure it is forwarded to all staff involved.
Westside Development Code Summer Code Refinement Public Workshop July 20 and August 31, 2011 from 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM at City Hall Community Meeting Room
July 20, 2011 - Workshop participating representatives and agenda topics
Background materials directing Summer Code Refinement exercise:
June 6, 2011 - City Council Meeting – Draft Westside Community Plan & Development Code Joint Workshop Recommendation
May 17, 2011 - Joint Workshop with City Council, Parks & Recreation and Planning Commission, and Design Review Committee
April 19,2011 - Special City Council Meeting – Review and Initiation of the Draft Westside Community Plan & Development Code for further Study
Tuesday, May 17 Joint Workshop with City Council, Parks and Recreation Commission, Planning Commission, and Design Review Committee reference material:
- Staff Report
- Westpark Phasing Plan - As discussed during the meeting, this is the phasing and funding needs for the Westpark Master Plan.
Tuesday, April 19, 2011 Special City Council Meeting - Westside Revitalization Project
PowerPoint Presentation for Item 3 and 4 (pdf 2,549 kb)
Advance Item #1 - Update on Westside Redevelopment Area Project (WRAP) Area & the Westside Redevelopment Advisory Committee (WRAC)
- Administrative Report (pdf 164 kb)
- Attachment A - Memo to Council regarding Formation of WRAC (pdf 11 kb)
Advance Item #2 - Receive Market Overview & Fiscal Analysis of Westside & North Avenue Area Community Plan, including Canada Larga
- Administrative Report (pdf.1,345 kb)
- Attachment A - Market Analysis (pdf 1,687 kb)
Attachment B - Fiscal Analysis (pdf 1,519 kb)
- Memo in Response to Questions asked at April 19, 2011 meeting.
Advance Item #3 - Review and Initiation of the Draft Westside Community Plan & Development Code for Further Study
- Administrative Report (pdf 858 kb)
- Attachment A - Draft Westside Plan (pdf 12,133 kb)
- Attachment B - Draft Westside Code (pdf 8,258 kb)
- Attachment C - Historic Survey Report (pdf 6,903 kb)
- Attachment D - General Plan Redesignated Parcels (pdf 189 kb)
- Attachment E - Potential Historic Districts and Conservation Areas Map (pdf 388 kb)
- Attachment F - English/Spanish Westside Plan Summary (pdf 90 kb)
- Attachment G - Summary Public Comment Matrix (pdf 224 kb)
- Attachment H - Commission & Committee Action Minutes (pdf 692 kb
Advance Item #4 - Professional Services Agreement between the City and Impact Sciences, Inc. for Consulting Services Related to Preparation of An Environmental Impact Report for the Westside Community Plan and Development Code
Attend the Westside Community Council meetings to connect with neighbors, volunteer, raise issues, and make a difference in your neighborhood
Westside Workshop Storyboard Comments, November 17, 2010
Click on the photo below to view an image of workshop participant comments. Hover over each of the yellow posts to read individual comments.
Westside Historic Resource Survey
NEW: Westside Historic Context and Survey Report (pdf)
A Historic Resource Survey is underway as part of the Community Plan effort. The draft version is available for review. Please forward any questions or comments regarding the Westside Historic Survey Report to: Lisa Wilkinson, Associate Planner at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail them to: Community Development Department, City of Ventura, PO Box 99, Ventura, CA 93002-0099.
Westside & North Avenue Plans and Documents
- Economic Development Strategy
- Westside Revitalization Plan
- Westside Urban Design Plan
- Westside Economic Development Strategy
California Polytechnic State University
In 2006 as part of their studies, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo students selected the City's Westside and North Avenue communities as their student project. They completed an assessment of area characteristics, and presented concepts for urban design. The documents and presentations prepared by the students are available here.
- Background Report (pdf)
- Synoptic Survey (pdf)
- March 12, 2007 Council Presentation