Westpark Community Center
Westpark Community Center
- Información sobre el Centro Comunitario de Westpark
- Westpark Resource Guide - Guia de Recursos de Westpark
The purpose of Westpark Community Center is to provide a variety of safe educational and affordable youth programs and services. The emphasis is teaching boys and girls from the Westside the importance of self-esteem, leadership, good character, responsibility and respect. This is done in a variety of program areas:
Homework & Tutoring - Recreation Enrichment - Sports - Classes - Special Events
Facility Information and Contacts
Westpark Community Center is located at: 450 W. Harrison Avenue, Ventura 93001 Phone: 648-1895
Department of Parks, Recreation & Community Partnerships Youth Programs & Westpark Coordinator
Anita Diaz 648-1895 email: email@example.com
Department of Parks, Recreation & Community Partnerships Youth Programs Supervisor
Mario Robinson 654-7807 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facility Hours: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays 2:30 – 6 pm, Wednesdays 1 – 6 pm
- Summer Hours: Mondays – Fridays 12 – 6 pm
- Closed weekends except for special events or organized sports leagues.
- During normal operating hours the center is open for youths 6 – 17 years of age.
Homework & Tutoring
Westpark staff is available to assist youths in their daily homework needs. Computers are available for their research and school projects. Tutoring in math, computer fundamentals, and English/Spanish are also available at the center.
Youths who wish assistance in their homework but are not registered through PEAK can drop-in at the center during the daily homework hour 2:45-3:45 pm. The only requirement is for the youths to complete an emergency card as a matter of record
Monthly Food Distribution Program & Health Services - Mensual Programa de Distribución de Alimentos y Servicios de Salud Third Wednesdays • 4:30-6 pm • los terceros miércoles
• Free! • First come-first served • Food distribution including fresh fruits and vegetables
• Health screens include blood pressure and diabetes checks and body fat & Body Mass Index (BMI) measurements.
• Gratis! • Los primeros en llegar, serán los primeros en recibir servicio
• Distribución de alimentos, frutas y verduras frescas
• Las pruebas de salud incluyen el examen de presión arterial y diabetes y las medidas de grasa corporal e Índice de Masa Corporal (IMC).
Westpark Community Center is a registered PEAK site for 3rd-5th graders. For more information about registration contact the center. PAL (Police Activities League)--visit PAL website hosted by the Ventura Police Department
Our sports activities for boys and girls include soccer (3 sessions per year) and basketball (two sessions per year) leagues as well as instruction and clinics in a variety of sports throughout the year, including:
Basketball Flag Football Golf Volleyball Soccer
- 2014 Registration flyers in English & Spanish for both boys and girls:
- Register by March 5 for Spring Basketball grades 3-12
- Register by March 8 for Spring Soccer pre-K through grade 8
- Register by April 11 for Spring Flag Football grades 4-6
- REGISTER NOW FOR 2014 SUMMER CAMPS
- Register by June 21 for Summer Soccer pre-K through grade 8
- Register by September 17 for Fall Soccer pre-K through grade 8
Westpark Community Center conducts the following special events throughout the year especially for Westside community residents, but all city residents are welcome. Holiday events include the Thanksgiving Basket Donation, Dia de los Muertos and Christmas Children's Choir. Other events include: Westpark Open House, Lights On After School, Martial Arts Demonstrations and Family Movie Nights.
- Sign up for Westpark's Sleep Over on Friday, March 21 for grades 3-8
- Past Events
- Nov 1-17 Thanksgiving Basket Donations by Teen Voice
- Nov 1-17 Thanksgiving Basket Donations Starbucks Drop Off Locations
- Westpark Holiday Program/Noche Buena (English/Espanol pdf)
The Westside Community Center also conducts youth camps throughout the year. Fall, winter, spring and summer camps offer a variety of themes with activities that include sports, art and music. Experienced and knowledgeable staff provide a safe environment for youths ages 5-12 years of age. For more information please contact the center.
Arts and Ceramics: This program encourages youths to develop their creativity and cultural awareness through the knowledge and appreciation of visual and fine arts. The Art Program is free and conducted from 4 – 6 pm Monday – Friday. An experienced adult instructor provides extensive knowledge in the following:
Ceramics Painting Clay & Pottery Glazing
Computer Education: Westpark has a state of the art computer lab with over 20 computers available for homework, research, Internet access and fun. Our computers can be used for school, job searches, college financial aid research and more.
Boxing: Westpark offers a boxing program for all youths 6-17 years of age with Instruction for 6-12 year-olds from 5-6 pm Monday through Thursday. Instruction is free. All participants must complete an emergency card and follow all rules as posted at the fitness room.
Music: Westpark has its own music studio offering programs and lessons in musical instruments, karaoke, choir, hip hop dance and more. Westpark youth may record their own music and learn to DJ during summer in the studio. Contact the center for information and times for your child’s particular musical and dance interests.
Classes for Adults/Youth
Westpark offer classes for youths, adults and families. Contact the center for information on fees, schedules and more.
Adult Computer Education
Adult/Youth English/Spanish – Classes for youths and adults interested in learning English and or Spanish. The classes will teach word usage, grammar, pronunciation and more.
Adults/Youth Ceramics & more – Classes for youths and adults interested in learning building techniques of pinching, slab building, coiling and sculpting. Also students will learn hand building, firing and glazing.
The Westpark Community Center is available for rental to the general public. The center has the only city-owned gymnasium for large meetings and all sporting type events including basketball and volleyball practices and club tournaments. In addition, Westpark has additional meeting rooms with space for up to 40 people. For more information please contact the center.