Westpark Community Center
Westpark Community Center
- Información sobre el Centro Comunitario de Westpark
- Westpark Resource Guide - Guia de Recursos de Westpark
The purpose of Westpark Community Center is to provide a variety of safe educational and affordable youth programs and services. The emphasis is teaching boys and girls from the Westside the importance of self-esteem, leadership, good character, responsibility and respect. This is done in a variety of program areas:
Homework & Tutoring - Recreation Enrichment - Sports - Classes - Special Events
Facility Information: Westpark Community Center, 450 W. Harrison Avenue, Ventura 93001 Phone: 805/648-1895
- Department of Parks, Recreation & Community Partnerships Youth Programs Supervisor:
- Mario Robinson: 805/654-7807 email@example.com
- and Westpark Coordinator, Anita Diaz: 805/648-1895 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facility Hours: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays 2:30 – 6 pm, Wednesdays 1 – 6 pm
- Summer Hours: Mondays – Fridays 12 – 6 pm
- Closed weekends except for special events or organized sports leagues.
- During normal operating hours the center is open for youths 6 – 17 years of age.
Homework & Tutoring
Westpark staff is available to assist youths in their daily homework needs. Computers are available for their research and school projects. Tutoring in math, computer fundamentals, and English/Spanish are also available at the center.
Youths wishing homework assistance and not registered through PEAK can drop-in at the center during the daily homework hour 2:45-3:45 pm with the sole requirement that they complete an emergency card as a matter of record.
Monthly Food Distribution Program & Health Services - Mensual Programa de Distribución de Alimentos y Servicios de Salud Third Wednesdays • 4-5:30 pm • los terceros miércoles
• Free! • First come-first served • Food distribution including fresh fruits and vegetables
• Health screens include blood pressure and diabetes checks and body fat & Body Mass Index (BMI) measurements.
• Gratis! • Los primeros en llegar, serán los primeros en recibir servicio
• Distribución de alimentos, frutas y verduras frescas
• Las pruebas de salud incluyen el examen de presión arterial y diabetes y las medidas de grasa corporal e Índice de Masa Corporal (IMC).
Westpark Community Center is a registered PEAK site for 3rd-5th graders. For more information about registration contact the center. PAL (Police Activities League)--visit PAL website hosted by the Ventura Police Department
Our sports activities for boys and girls include seasonal soccer, basketball and flag football leagues and clinics:
The Westside Community Center also conducts youth camps throughout the year. Fall, winter, spring and summer camps offer a variety of themes with activities that include sports, art and music. Experienced and knowledgeable staff provide a safe environment for youths ages 5-12 years of age. For more information please contact the center.
Arts and Ceramics: This program encourages youths to develop their creativity and cultural awareness through the knowledge and appreciation of visual and fine arts. The Art Program is free and conducted from 4 – 6 pm Monday – Friday. An experienced adult instructor provides extensive knowledge in the following:
Ceramics Painting Clay & Pottery Glazing
Computer Education: Westpark has a state of the art computer lab with over 20 computers available for homework, research, Internet access and fun. Our computers can be used for school, job searches, college financial aid research and more.
Boxing: Westpark offers a boxing program for all youths 6-17 years of age with Instruction for 6-12 year-olds from 5-6 pm Monday through Thursday. Instruction is free. All participants must complete an emergency card and follow all rules as posted at the fitness room.
Music: Westpark has its own music studio offering programs and lessons in musical instruments, karaoke, choir, hip hop dance and more. Westpark youth may record their own music and learn to DJ during summer in the studio. Contact the center for information and times for your child’s particular musical and dance interests.
Special events throughout the year are offered especially for Westside community residents, but all city residents are welcome to attend, including:
- October 16 Westpark Open House for Lights On After School
- October 24 Día de los Muertos
- Nov 25 family pickup for Teen Voice Thanksgiving Basket Donations,
- Westpark Holiday Dinner & Program, Dec. 19, 2014
Classes for Adults/Youth
Westpark offer classes for youths, adults and families. Contact the center for information on fees, schedules and more.
Adult Computer Education
Adult/Youth English/Spanish – Classes for youths and adults interested in learning English and or Spanish. The classes will teach word usage, grammar, pronunciation and more.
Adults/Youth Ceramics & more – Classes for youths and adults interested in learning building techniques of pinching, slab building, coiling and sculpting. Also students will learn hand building, firing and glazing.
The Westpark Community Center is available for rental to the general public. The center has the only city-owned gymnasium for large meetings and all sporting type events including basketball and volleyball practices and club tournaments. In addition, Westpark has additional meeting rooms with space for up to 40 people. For more information please contact the center.