The City of Ventura is using this web site to educate, inform, and direct interested parties to regulations, policies, and documents associated with the use of property within the City that is likely to be subject to flooding by stormwater.
ORGANIZATION OF AUTHORITY
FEMA administers a National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) that establishes Floodways and Zones on maps (FIRM's), imposes Development and Use Standards, and issues Policies of Flood Insurance.
The County Watershed Protection District collects a special property related tax to fund Regional compliance with FEMA's NFIP, to monitor and study regional storm water flows and systems, and to facilitate Regional storm water management cooperation.
The City of Ventura collects information from FEMA, the County Watershed Protection District, and our own storm water management programs, facilitates FEMA NFIP development compliance, and takes enforcement action when required to maintain compliance with FEMA's NFIP standards.
STUDIES AND PROJECTS
CURSORY STUDIES BY COUNTY WATERSHED PROTECTION DISTRICT
The following Adobe PDF files are preliminary studies conducted by the County for the purposes of identifying potentially problematic storm water drainage areas within the City. These are offered for general information purposes only. There is no guarantee of study accuracy and additional review of these types of studies has found gross generalizations that could greatly effect the extent of local flooding.
- Sanjon Barranca Study  (85MB PDF)
- Arundell Barranca Study  (22MB PDF)
- Prince Barranca Study  (52MB PDF)
- City Evaluation of Arundell Barranca and Prince Barranca  (694k PDF)
These studies and projects are more detailed and are likely to result in formal changes to FEMA's Flood Insurance Rate Maps.
Levee's certifications  (38MB PDF)
- FEMA MAP SERVICE CENTER
FEMA Map Center
Frequently Asked Questions
National Flood Insurance Program 
- Pacific Ocean Mapping Project (CCAMP/OPC) 
HELPFUL SOURCES OF INFORMATION
For questions on flood insurance coverage and rates: 1-800-427-4661  or http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/choose_your_policy/cyp_overview.jsp 
- For general information about flood insurance: www.FloodSmart.gov 
- FEMA Information Resource Library - www.fema.gov/library/index.jsp 
- FEMA Publications: FEMA Distribution Center at 1-800-480-2520 
- NFIP Info: www.fema.gov/business/nfip or  1-800-427-4661 
- FEMA Map Service Center: http://msc.fema.gov or  1-800-358-9616 
- FEMA Regions and Contacts: www.fema.gov/about/contact/regions.shtm 
- Floodplain Manager´s Information: www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/floodplain/index.shtm 
- Risk MAP (Mapping, Assessment, and Planning): http://www.fema.gov/plan/ffmm.shtm 
- About Flood Insurance: www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/floodplain/about_the_nfip.shtm 
- FEMA Web site on Map Modernization: http://www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/fhm/mm_main.shtm 
- FEMA Web site on Flood Hazard Mapping: http://www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/fhm/gs_main.shtm 
- FEMA Map Assistance Center 1-877-FEMA MAP (1-877-336-2627 )
Ventura County Sheriff Emergency Operations Center: http://www.readyventuracounty.org/ 
- FEMA RiskMAP Project: http://www.fema.gov/library/viewRecord.do?id=4119 
- FEMA Floodplain Management webpage: http://www.fema.gov/library/viewRecord.do?id=7565 
QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS
Questions and comments regarding this web site and/or the information provided can be logged into MyVenturaAccess  so that you can track the progress of your question on-line or sent via e-mail to FPM@CityofVentura.net .