Permits for special events, block parties, filming and more



Click on these quick links or scroll below for information and download-fill-and save permit applications for:

NOTE: You must first DOWNLOAD applications to your desktop in order to fill, save and send them.

For help on these permits contact: City of Ventura Special Event Coordinator Michelle Godoy-Morales
visit: Ventura City Hall, 501 Poli Street, Room 226, Ventura, CA  93001 Mon-Fri 8am-5pm closed alternate Fridays
phone: (805) 654-7749  fax: (805) 648-1030
mail: P.O. Box 99 - Rm 226, Ventura, CA 93002
email:    website:

Special Event Permit Grants - deadline to apply extended to June 5, 2015

This City of Ventura grant program is open to all event organizers staging festivals and events within the City of Ventura that activate public space and increase visitor spending. Grants are to cover all or a portion of City of Ventura Special Event Permit fees. The maximum amount of an award is $2,000. All applicants MUST PARTNER with a City of Ventura based nonprofit organization (if they aren't in this category) by completing the commitment form to be considered.

Current cycle of funding is for events taking place between July 2015 and June 2016
The deadline to apply has been extended to Friday, June 5, 2015 at 5 pm

Application Download first to fill & save information, then print & mail
Nonprofit Partner Commitment Form (required)
Special Event Permit Application submit at least 3 months before the date of the event

Special Events, Block Party Permits & City Hall Rental

Step One – Obtain a Special Event Application, Block Party Application or City Hall Rental Application

Download, fill, save & send your applications here:

The City of Ventura issues permits for individuals, groups, and companies to conduct events within the City of Ventura limits. Activities such as block parties, parades, processions, athletic and sporting events, walk-a-thons, and festivals that impact City streets, sidewalks, parking lots, public property, airways, public buildings, and traffic require a permit to be filed in advance. Many private properties also require permits for special activities that have the potential to impact the public-right-of-way.

Step Two – Complete & return your application with fees

Special Event applications, along with the non-refundable application fee, should be submitted 30-90 days before your event. This timeframe allows the Permit Staff to receive all the necessary City of Ventura department approvals associated with the planning and execution of the event. Applications received one week prior to an event are subject to additional charges.

Applications for a Block Party, along with the non-refundable application fee, must be submitted no less than (15) business days from the date of your event. A petition page with at least 3/4 signatures of the owners/residents authorizing their consent in writing is also required when submitting the application. Additional conditions for conducting a Block Party are outlined within the application.

Step Three – Receiving your permit

Once the permit staff receives the application fee, and any supplemental paperwork, the application will be forwarded to the appropriate City departments for review and adherence to applicable City ordinances and regulations. Specific requirements and any additional fees will be included in a detailed agreement to be signed by the "Permittee" prior to the event.

A Certificate of Insurance and endorsement page naming the City of Ventura as an additional insured will be required prior to the release of any Special Event Permit. Block Party Permits require a copy of a the "Permittee's"; homeowner's policy or the "Permittee" may purchase insurance through the City of Ventura. View a sample of an acceptable insurance document (PDF) with the mandatory wording for liability insurance and required certificate of endorsement page that must specify as an additional insured the following:

City of Ventura, its officials, employees, volunteers
P.O. Box 99
Ventura, CA  93002

Once approved, the "Permittee" will be contacted and asked to visit City Hall, room 226, to sign the permit, pay any outstanding fees or satisfy insurance requirements.

What else should I be aware of?

As a condition of the permit, the "Permittee"; may be required, by not limited to, the following:

Pay for City Public Safety Officers or representatives to control traffic or provide safety or inspections at the event Post streets with appropriate signage and/or place and man barricades· Notify business/residents in writing or in person prior to the event· Contact and obtain required permits from other regulatory agencies or organizations· Coordinate specific aspects of the event with other City of Ventura departments

Film & Photography Permits

The historic City of San Buenaventura (“Ventura”), incorporated by the California legislature in 1866, has a number of unique locations of interest for major motion picture production companies, television, commercials, still photography and student productions. Historic structures, harbors and marinas, beaches, ocean views, residential and business districts can all be found within the City of Ventura. For complete information visit the Film Ventura website at The City of Ventura coordinates all on-location productions in the City of Ventura. This coordination includes safety reviews by police, fire and public works.

"Sharkzilla" filmed on San Buenaventura State Beach, July 26, 2012 for the Discovery Channel's Shark Week.
Sharkzilla photo by Karen Kelley Sharkzilla filming, photo by Karen Kelley

Step One--Download a Film/Photography Permit Application

Step Two– Complete & return your application with fee
Commercial and Student film/photography applications, along with a non-refundable application fee, should be submitted a minimum of 5 business days for events that do not require City staff services (traffic control, street closures, fire inspections, posting of No Parking signage). Applications requiring additional staff services such as police, fire, or film permit oversight should be submitted at least 30 business days prior to the film/photography event. Additional conditions and requirements for student film permits are outlined within the application.

Step Three–  Receiving your permit
Once the permit staff receives and reviews the application, the “Permittee” will be contacted and asked to visit City Hall, room 226, to sign the permit, pay any outstanding fees or satisfy insurance requirements.

Film Ordinance: Film permits are governed by the City of Ventura’s Municipal Code, Division 8, Chapter 8.120.

Permits for Temporary Banners & American Flag Display on Light Poles + Public Murals

Non-profit or charitable organizations may display temporary banners promoting special events or American flags on public utility poles by completing the appropriate permit after reading the guidelines and specifications for the application process (click on links for these documents below). Applicants looking to install public murals on private property may click the link below for application information

Flag and Banner Guidelines and Specifications

Application for Flag Display on Light Poles (fillable PDF)

Application for Temporary Banners on Light Poles (fillable PDF)

Public Murals on Private Property Application