Responsible Retailer Program (RRP)
- Responsible Retailer Program (RRP)
- Goal of the RRP
- Program Components
- Documents & Additional Information
- VPD's Alcohol Enforcement Officer
- RRP & Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) Resources
- Contact Information
The Responsible Retailer Program, otherwise known as RRP, is designed to provide Alcohol Beverage Establishments (ABEs) with valuable information in order to maintain a safe and responsible business as it pertains to the sale and service of alcoholic beverages.
RRP is a collaborative program developed in cooperation with:
- Ventura County Behavioral Health Department (Ventura County Limits)
- Ventura Adult/Continuing Education (VUSD)
- California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC).
- Provide retailers with a clear understanding of state and local alcohol regulations.
- Limit retailer’s liability due to unsafe alcohol sales and service practices.
- Teach owners, managers, and their staff the skills to refuse sales to minors and intoxicated persons.
- Assist retailers with the specifics of store or house policies.
- Be a liaison by educating and helping retailers avoid problems and penalties.
The goal of the RRP is to improve public health and safety in our community by increasing the awareness of the dangers that result from improper sales and service of alcoholic beverages, particularly to minors and those who may already be intoxicated.
The RRP officially kicked off on April 9, 2007. Although the RRP is voluntary in nature, we truly hope all ABEs will embrace this program and help make our community safer by practicing safe alcohol sales and service.
Retailers participating in the program receive signage comprised of various decals, stickers, placards, and posters, to be installed at their place of business. In order to participate, a retailer must:
- Complete a questionnaire
- Complete a pledge form that demonstrates their participation in the program
- Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) website: www.abc.ca.gov
- Ventura County Limits: www.venturacountylimits.org
- Adult Education: www.ventura.k12.ca.us/vusd/vace.htm
Officer Bernadette Compean is our Department's interim Alcohol Enforcement Officers.
As the ABC Officer for Ventura, Officer Bernadette Compean is in charge of the RRP. She oversees all Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) licenses and alcohol sales permits within the City.
For additional information on Officer Bernadette Compean and the position please visit our Alcohol Beverage Control Program page.
- Officer Compean -- 805-339-4453