Frequently Asked Questions

Where, and how, can I dispose of my prescription drugs and medications?

If you have prescription medicines to dispose of our department does not offer disposal services at the present time.  However, you can contact Roger’s Pharmacy at 2909 Loma Vista Ave. (805-648-1856), Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.  They accept medications for disposal but do not accept liquids, gels, or controlled substances.

Ventura County Hazardous Waste Disposal also accepts medications the 3rd Saturday of the month by appointment. They will not accept “mind-altering” drugs including Opiates (Vicodin etc.).

In-county law enforcement agencies that accept unused drugs (from their City residents only)

  • Thousand Oaks
  • Camarillo
  • Ojai
  • Fillmore
How Do I Get Help if I am the Victim of Domestic Violence?

If you need emergency assistance, contact your local law enforcement agency immediately by calling 9-1-1.

To report a crime that is not happening right now or to obtain information, please call the Ventura Police Department at 805-339-4400 or 805-650-8010.

Victim/witness information is provided by the Ventura County District Attorney's Office and can be obtained by calling 805-654-3622.

What can I do if I'm the victim of domestic violence?

  • Call the police.
  • Make sure you are safe from another beating. Whenever you believe you are in danger, leave your home and take your children with you. If time allows, take important papers such as your birth certificate and vehicle registration with you.
  • Get medical attention. Don't try to treat yourself; you may be more seriously injured than you realize.
  • Seek assistance. Whether or not you file charges against your batterer, you may need to talk to a professional about your situation. Your local battered women's shelter, women's support group, or victims' assistance centers are good places to obtain help.
  • Save all the evidence (proof) you can. Whether or not you file charges now, you may change your mind later. You may even want to take photographs of your injuries.
How Do I Report Parking Issues?

To Report Parking Issues please call 805-339-4401.  Additionally, you can visit the Traffic section on our website which discusses a variety of parking and traffic related questions and topics.

How Do I Report My Vehicle (or License Plates) Stolen?

If you believe your vehicle has been stolen it is important that you contact the police department immediately by calling 9-1-1. Be sure to have the following information available:

  • Color
  • Year
  • Make
  • Model
  • License plate number
  • Location where the vehicle (or plate) was last seen
  • Date and time the vehicle was last seen

If your license plate(s) are lost or stolen, you should notify the police department and the Department of Motor Vehicles immediately. Call the Ventura Police Department at 805-339-4425 or 805-339-4400. DMV can be contacted at 805-654-4591. DMV will issue new plates for your vehicle after the police report has been filed.

Ventura Police Emergency - 9-1-1
Ventura Police Non-Emergency - 805-339-4400 or 805-339-4425
Department of Motor Vehicles, Ventura Office - 805-654-4591

How Do I Contact The Ombudsman Program?

Please see the link to our Crime Prevention section which discusses the Ombudsman program.

How Do I Lock Crime Out Of My Home?

Please see our Crime Prevention page on home and neighborhood safety.

How Do I Know If My Child Is Involved With Gangs?

What You Know About Gangs Could Save Your Child's Life

Gangs are a major problem in California. What they do isn't kid stuff. Gang members have destroyed property and committed violent crimes, including maiming and murdering innocent people.

This information can help parents understand why a young person joins a gang and the warning signs that indicate gang membership.

8 Reasons Why Kids Join Gangs

1. Low self-esteem
2. Lack of identity
3. Need to feel important
4. Companionship/sense of belonging
5. Security
6. Lack of positive alternative activities, like sports
7. Lack of parental involvement
8. Peer pressure

Signals that Can Indicate Gang Membership

* Change in the style of clothing usually worn, or wearing one particular color often.
* Withdrawing from one's family.
* Declining grades and poor school attendance.
* Unexplained money or possessions.
* Tattoos affiliated with a group.
* Use of nicknames.
* Appearance of graffiti on personal articles.
* Contacts with local police.

There are Things Parents Can Do

Don't think that because someone is on the threshold of joining a gang, or is already a gang member, that it is too late to establish positive alternatives

* Establish non-negotiable family rules regarding the use of alcohol, drugs, and gang membership.
* Establish clear guidelines and limits for your children's behavior and their activities.
* Spend time with your children; do things with them and attend functions in which they are involved.
* Respect your children's feelings and attitudes; help them develop a strong sense of self-esteem.
* Seek professional help from a local agency.
* Know your children's friends.
* Meet regularly with school counselors and teachers.
* Educate yourself about gangs and drugs.

For more information, contact your local anti-gang effort, or call the Office of Criminal Justice Planning at (916) 327-3682 and ask for the Gang Violence Suppression Branch.


Ventura Police Dept. Special Enforcement Team/Gang Violence Suppression 339-4486.

How Do I Report An Abandoned Vehicle?

For extensive information on Abandoned Vehicles please visit our Abandoned Vehicle page.

  • To report an Abandoned Vehicle please call our  Hotline (805) 339-4432
  • On our Abandoned Vehicle page you will also find a web-form you can fill in to report the vehicle.  


How Do I Obtain A Traffic Collision Report?

Please see our Traffic Collision Report page in order to retrieve your report.

How Do I Find Information on Alarms?

To find information on alarms please visit our Alarm page.

How Do I Find Information on Emergency Preparedness?

In the event of an emergency are you prepared?

For an extensive listing of Emergency Preparedness information please visit the Emergency Preparedness webpage.

Ventura Disaster Hotline:

  • 805-477-3711

The hotline is activated during disasters, the City’s disaster hotline provides residents with information during a citywide disaster. During a major disaster a City staff member will answer the line.

During a disaster, City personnel are the first to safeguard the life and property of our residents. Our mission is to provide the very best emergency services possible and strengthen local operations by educating our community about potential disasters.  The City of Ventura is susceptible to various types of disasters that include earthquakes, fires, tsunamis, flooding, hazardous materials releases, landslides and terrorism.    A disaster is a community problem, and to fulfill our mission we need the support and active participation of the people we serve.  We encourage you to stay involved and informed so that you are well prepared in the event of an emergency.

How Do I Report a Crime?

To report a crime:

  • If you see a crime being committed, and it is an emergency, please call 9-1-1.
  • You can call our Business Line at 805-339-4400 during normal business hours; which are Monday through Thursday (closed Fridays and Holidays), 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • To report a non-emergency incident after normal business hours please call 805-650-8010.
  • If you want to report a crime (file a report) for the following incident types please visit our Online Reporting page.
    • Harassing phone calls
    • Identity theft
    • Fraudulent use of credit cards
    • Vehicle burglary
    • Supplemental report
    • Custody order violation
    • Theft
    • Hit and run
    • Lost property
    • Vandalism
Do You Have Any Child Safety Tips Websites or Information?

Do You Have Any Child Safety Tips Websites or Information?

Here are a few websites that offer great information on child safety.

What is Civil vs. Non-Civil?

If you have any questions regarding a dispute and would like some information whether the case will be civil or non-civil, contact the Ventura County Government Center at 654-2609 (civil disputes) or the Ventura Police Department at 339-4425.

How Do I Report Narcotics Activity?

How Do I Report Narcotics Activity?

Please call 805-339-4331

Fingerprints - Do You Take Fingerprints? - Do I Need an Appointment?

Yes, we take fingerprints but you must make an appointment. Appointments are available from Monday to Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Please contact the Operator at 805-339-4400 to schedule an appointment. Please note, appointments start from 9:00 a.m. to 11:40 a.m., Monday to Thursday. This includes Bookings, Live scans, FBI Cards.

How Do I Register as a Drug Offender?

How Do I Register as a Drug Offender?

You will need to come into the Ventura Police Department during business hours (Mon-Thurs, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.). You will need to provide picture I.D. If you cannot provide an I.D., you can contact probation or parole.

How Can I Reach a Specific Police Officer?

How Can I Reach a Specific Police Officer?

You can reach a specific officer by visiting the link to our Staff Directory page, or you may contact the Ventura Police Department’s Operator at 805-339-4400 and we can provide you with their voice mail extension.

Please keep in mind that Police Officers work 3-12 hour day periods and might not receive the message right away.

Megan's Law Most Frequently Asked Questions

A new California Law, Assembly Bill 488, now provides the public with Internet access to detailed information on registered sex offenders. California Megan’s Law provides the public with certain information on the whereabouts of sex offenders so that members of our local community may protect themselves and their children. The law is not intended to punish the offender and specifically prohibits using the information to harass or commit any crime against an offender.


1.   I want to share with others the information I found on the State of California Megan’s Law Website. Does the law prohibit me in any way from sharing this information?
Answer:   A person may use the information disclosed on the website only to protect a person at risk. It is a crime to use the information disclosed on the website to commit a misdemeanor/felony. Misuse of the information may make the user liable for monetary damages or injunction again the misuse. Merely suggest to others that they view the website for themselves.

2.   Can a registered sex offender live near a school or park, and is there a distance?
Answer:   Yes and No. The law states a supervised offender, a parolee convicted of Section 288 or 288.5 Penal Code cannot live within 2,000 feet of any public or private school (grades 1-8). The law does not include parks. A registered sex offender on supervised probation may or may not live near a school or park, it depends on what terms the offender received during sentencing. Once the registered sex offender is no longer on supervision (parole or probation), they can live anywhere they wish as long as they are currently registered with the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction of their residence or location.

3.   Can registered sex offenders live together?
Answer:   Yes and No. Registered sex offenders while on supervised parole, may live together in a residential treatment facility, which serves six or fewer persons. If a registered sex offender parolee is residing in a single family dwelling, the offender may not reside with another person required to register as a sex offender unless those persons are legally related by blood, marriage or adoption. While on supervised probation, it depends on what terms the offender received during sentencing. Once the registered sex offender is no longer on supervision, they can live with whom ever they wish as long as they are currently registered with the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction of their residence or location.

4.   Are sex offenders allowed to view the Megan’s Law website?
Answer:   No, any person who is required to register pursuant to Penal Code 290 who enters this website is punishable by a fine, imprisonment in a county jail, or both.

5.   Can I deny employment, housing accommodations or services provided by any business establishment because I checked Megan’s Law and found that the person is a registered sex offender?
Answer:   No, a person is authorized to use information on this website only to protect a person at risk. Use of any information disclosed on this website for purposes relating to any of the following is prohibited:

a. Health Insurance
b. Insurance
c. Loans
d. Credit
e. Employment
f. Education, scholarships or fellowships
g. Housing or accommodations
h. Benefits, privileges, or services provided by any business establishment

6.   If I suspect someone in my family of sexually abusing my child or another child in my family or neighborhood, what should I do? Should I confront them?
Answer:   Your best approach is to contact the authorities and let them investigate. If you suspect the abuse because of something your child or another child has disclosed to you, your most important role is to believe and support the child.

7.   If I am viewing the Megan’s Law website and I find someone I know and it has the wrong information on the website, who do I notify?
Answer:   If you have information on a registered sex offender you may contact the Department of Justice by email or by phone. An icon is provided on the website for convenience.

8.   Are sexual offenses on the increase or is there just more reporting?
Answer:   We do not really know and it’s difficult to tell. Most sexual offenses go unreported. There is speculation among many in the field that the implementation of new laws related to the registration and community notification of convicted sex offenders may cause an even higher rate of under reporting. (Most victims know their assailants and many may not want to subject them to public scrutiny). However, according to the National Crime Victimization Survey, from 1996 to 1999 reporting of sexual offenses has increased 12.5 %.

9.   Are men the only ones that commit sexual assaults?
Answer:   No, while most sex offenders are male, female offenders commit some offenses.

10.   Do child sexual abusers use physical force or threat to gain compliance from their victims?
Answer:   No, in the majority of cases, abusers gain access to their victims through deception and enticement and seldom use force. Abuse typically occurs within a long term, ongoing relationship between the offender and victim and escalates over time.

11.   Is sexual gratification often a primary motivation for a rape offender?
Answer:   No, while some offenders do seek sexual gratification from the act, sexual gratification is often not a primary motivation for a rape offender. Power, control and anger are more likely to be the primary motivators.

12.   Do drugs and alcohol cause sexual offenses to occur?
Answer:   No, while drugs and alcohol are often involved in sexual assaults, drugs and alcohol do not cause sexual offenses to occur. Rather, drug and alcohol use may cause the offender’s inhibitions to increase a potential victim’s vulnerability.

Informational Websites and Phone Numbers

State of California Megan’s Law:

Sex Offender Registry for other states:

Operation Predator:

Office of the Attorney General, Bill Lockyer:

290 PC websites: 

Adult Obscenity,

Missing Persons / Children websites:

California Missing and Unidentified Persons Unit- (Int'l missing, most wanted)

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children: 1(800) THE-LOST

Amber Alert:

(800) 222-FIND

National Runaway Switchboard:

(800) RUN-AWAY

Interface: (800) 339-9597

Association of Missing and Exploited Childrens Organizations:

The CyberTipLine (Child Pornography Tipline):

(800) 843-5678


Crime Analyst Karen Karayan


You may also contact your local Police Department or Sheriffs Office. 

How Do I Report Graffiti?

How Do I Report Graffiti?

Please call 805-654-7805 or e-mail

How Do I Register as a Sex Offender?

To register as a Sex Offender please contact the Police Services Officer at 805-339-4442.

How Do I Get a Copy of a Report / Record?

How can I get a copy of a report / record?

The Records Unit processes reports, keeps crime and arrest statistics, answers non-emergency calls, processes subpoenas for department employees, and types reports dictated by patrol officers.

If you would like to request a copy of a police report please contact the Records Unit at 805.339.4417 or 4418. 

The Records Unit is open to the public to obtain police reports and other records services/requests from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and closed Holidays.

Important Information:

Before attempting to search for a copy of a collision report online, please allow a minimum of 14 days from the date of the collision to allow the report to be reviewed and approved for your ability to purchase the report online. 

Traffic collision reports resulting in a fatality, part of an arrest or involving a juvenile and a crime, are not released online – please come to our department’s Records Counter to request one of these types of reports.

A convenience fee of $10.00 will be assessed for the ability to retrieve your report online.  Involved parties who do not wish to pay the convenience fee may still come to our Records counter during business hours to obtain a collision report.  The Records Unit is open to the public to obtain police reports and other records services/requests from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and closed Holidays. You can contact our Records Unit at 805.339.4418.

Powered by:

How Do I Prepare for Terrorist Threats?

Be Aware… Plan, Prepare
The earthquakes, floods, and wildfires that have struck California in recent years have frightened most of us, at least a little bit. We wouldn't be human if we weren't uneasy. Fear is a natural reaction - one that can be used as a weapon against us to achieve various groups' political and social goals.

Much of the fear caused by terrorism - or the threat of it - is based in the uncertainty of when and what will occur. Will we, our loved ones, or friends be injured? Will the business we own, or that employs us, be targeted? We feel we have no control over our fate.

We can take control of our fate by preparing as we would natural disasters. Keep a three-day supply of food and water on hand; have flashlights, portable radios, and spare batteries available; identify an out-of-town contact and place to reunite if separated from loved ones. We can also become more aware of our surroundings and report suspicious activity to local officials.

Taking these and other steps described in this brochure may not enable us to prevent a terrorist attack, but we can take away some of their ammunition. After all, strength, courage, and determination are part of being an American.

If you evacuate from work, use the stairs and stay to the right to leave a clear path for firefighters and other emergency personnel. If you evacuate from home put on sturdy shoes to protect your feet from debris. Take your pets with you to your prearranged meeting place. (Pets are not allowed in public shelters.)

If you are instructed to "shelter-in-place," stay indoors, close windows and doors, and turn off air conditioning systems. Do not leave your sheltered location until instructed to do so.

Bomb Threats
Statistics have shown that less than .01% of threats received nationwide result in explosion or a found device. The person receiving the call should attempt to obtain the following information:

  • When is the bomb due to explode?
  • Where is the bomb located?
  • What kind of bomb is it?
  • What does the bomb look like?
  • Why the bomb was placed.
  • The identity of the caller.
  • Location of the caller.
  • Age and sex of the caller.
  • Any background noises.
  • Time call was received and the time the caller hung up.

Explosions and Fires

  • If you hear an explosion nearby, take cover under a desk or sturdy table and away from falling items. Exit the building as quickly as possible.
  • If there is a fire, stay low, and cover your nose and mouth with a wet cloth. Seek a safe escape route, away from heat or flames.
  • First Aid tips are in the white pages of your telephone book.
  • Check for damage, fires, gas leaks, and other hazards using a flashlight. DO NOT light matches or candles. Don't turn on electrical switches-sparks could cause an explosion.
  • Check on your neighbors. E-mail or call your family contact.
  • Stay informed by listening to a battery-powered radio. Follow instructions issued by authorities.

Handling the Mail

  • Wash your hands with soap and warm water before and after handling the mail.
  • Do not eat, drink, or smoke around the mail.
  • If you have open cuts or lesions on your hands, disposable latex gloves may be appropriate.
  • Surgical masks, eye protection, or gowns are not necessary or recommended.

If a letter contains powder or a written threat, take the following steps:

  • Do not shake or empty the envelope.
  • Isolate that area of the workplace so that no one disturbs the item.
  • Evacuation of the entire workplace is not necessary at this point.
  • Wash your hands with soap and water for one minute. Call your local law enforcement agency. They will provide further instructions.

Government Readiness
The City of Ventura, County of Ventura, and Governor's Office of Emergency Services (OES) coordinate natural disaster preparedness and response by activating the California Emergency Management System which is used by all California public safety agencies. OES also coordinates state-level terrorism preparedness, response, and recovery.

The California Terrorism Response Plan, which was activated early on September 11, 2001, will remain in force as long as necessary to ensure swift response to any incident anywhere in California.

OES is the most experienced, innovative, and effective emergency management agency in the world. In the past 15 years, OES has successfully managed response and recovery to more than 22 federally-declared disasters, including the 1994 Northridge Earthquake, the most costly disaster in U.S. history until September 11, 2001.

California has nearly 80,000 sworn peace officers, 60,000 firefighters, and thousands of emergency management personnel ready to respond to disasters and emergencies. The State's multidisciplinary approach to emergency response gives California the ability to deal with any disaster or emergency.

For More Information

Ventura Police and Fire
Emergency 911
Non-emergency 650-8010

Ventura Public Health 677-5209

California Governor's Office of Emergency Services (click on " Terrorism") - This site contains a comprehensive collection of Web links from the State, Federal, and private sectors.

American Red Cross

Centers for Disease Control Bio-terrorism Website

Johns Hopkins University - Center for Bio-defense Studies

OES operates the Safety Information and Referral Line to provide non-emergency information on terrorism and related issues. Call 1-800-550-5234 (TTY 1-800-550-5281) for recorded messages (24-hour service). Trained technicians are available to answer questions directly during peak hours.

How Do I Protect My Child From Sexual Predators?

Protecting Yourself and Your Family
Child molesters have well-developed techniques for luring victims. They are able to seduce children with attention, affection and gifts; have hobbies and interests appealing to children; and may show sexually explicit videos or pictures to children. Generally, they are skilled at identifying victims and are able to identify better with children than adults.

Teach your children to avoid situations that put them in danger of abuse, molestation, or abduction. A safe and supportive home environment, combined with clear instructions about what behavior is acceptable and what is not, will guide your child's actions and encourage your child to tell you if something improper happens.

Many parents warn their children not to talk to strangers. But more often than not, the child knows an abuser or abductor. He or she can be a school bus driver, teacher, relative, neighbor, or family friend. Many times the molestation occurs in the home of the victim or the abuser.

It is best to teach your child to avoid certain situations or actions. Children should know from an early age that some behavior is not acceptable, and that they have the right to tell an adult to leave them alone.

Here are some specific rules you can teach your child:

  • Stay away from people who call you near their car.
  • If someone tries to take you away, yell, "This person is not my father(or mother)" and scream.
  • If you get lost in a store, find another mom with children or go to the checkout counter. Don't wander around on your own.
  • You don't have to keep secrets from your parents. No one can hurt your parents or pets if you tell what happened.
  • No one should touch you in the parts covered by your bathing suit, and you should not be asked to touch anyone there.
  • Don't let anyone take your picture without permission from your parents or teacher.

Informational Websites and Phone Numbers

State of California Megan’s Law:

Sex Offender Registry for other states:

Operation Predator:

Office of the Attorney General, Bill Lockyer:

290 PC websites: 

Adult Obscenity,

Missing Persons / Children websites:

California Missing and Unidentified Persons Unit- (Int'l missing, most wanted)

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children: 1(800) THE-LOST

Amber Alert:

(800) 222-FIND

National Runaway Switchboard:

(800) RUN-AWAY

Interface: (800) 339-9597

Association of Missing and Exploited Childrens Organizations:

The CyberTipLine (Child Pornography Tipline):

(800) 843-5678

Contact:  The Ventura Police Department, 805-339-4442

You may also contact your local Police Department or Sheriffs Office.

How Do I Get My Found / Stolen / Impounded / Safekeeping Property Back?

Found Property

  • Found property will be held for 90 days while an attempt is made to locate the owner.
  • Property valued at less than $250 may then be released to the finder after he/she signs a Property Release Form
  • You will need to make an appointment to reclaim your property. 
    • Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
    • You may also schedule an appointment by calling 805-339-4400.

Money or property valued at more than $250 may be claimed by the finder after:

  • He/she places an advertisement in a newspaper of general circulation for one publication.
  • The owner has not been found seven days following the ad's first publication.
  • The finder makes an appointment by calling 805-339-4490. Operating hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Please bring the yellow notification card with you to the appointment.
  • The finder provides proof of the ad's publication and acceptable identification.
  • The finder signs a Property Release Form.
  • Money can be claimed after 120 days.


  • Found bikes that remain unclaimed for 90 days may be returned to the finder. If the finder does not claim the bicycle, it will be sold at public auction.
  • Stolen bicycles will be returned to the owner upon case adjudication.
  • Safekeeping bikes will be returned to the owner upon request. If no request is made,
    the bicycle will be sold at public auction after 60 days.

Found or abandoned weapons will not be released to the finder. Found firearms will be destroyed per Penal Code sections 12028, 12029, and 12030.

Property Taken for Safekeeping

  • Items placed in the Property Room for safekeeping will be held for 60 days while an attempt is made to contact the owner.
  • The owner has 15 days from the date notification is mailed to claim the item(s).
  • Items will be kept for a minimum of 60 days, then destroyed or auctioned if they have not been claimed.
How Do I Obtain a Restraining Order?

Restraining orders are obtained through the courts. In Ventura County, restraining orders are issued by the Ventura County Superior Court, 800 S. Victoria Avenue, Ventura.

For more information, contact the Ventura County Court Clerk at 805-654-5000.

If you need emergency assistance, contact your local law enforcement agency immediately by calling 9-1-1.

How Do I Pay a Parking Ticket?

You may pay your parking citation online by clicking on the link below:

How Do I Get My Car Out of Impound?

Depending on the reason for the tow, an impounded vehicle can be held for up to 30-days. Hearings are held on vehicles that are impounded for 30 days.

To obtain a release, the vehicle's registered owner must have:

  • Current registration for the vehicle
  • A valid driver's license
  • No outstanding parking violations
  • Payment of one of the Vehicle Release Fees as follows:
    • $214 for DUI Arrest.
    • $168 for Abandoned Vehicle.
    • $157 for all other towed vehicles.

If the registered owner does not have a valid driver's license, a person with a valid license must be present with the vehicle owner. No license, no release - no exceptions.

If the registered owner is in custody, he/she may authorize release of the vehicle to another person. A letter stating in essence, "I authorize (name of person) to take my (vehicle description) out of impound" and stamped by officials at the jail must accompany the request for release. The authorized person must meet the requirements outlined above.

If the registered owner is unable to pick up the impounded vehicle, he/she may authorize the vehicle's release to another person. The person must have a note signed by the registered owner authorizing the vehicle's release and a photocopy of the registered owner's driver's license or other acceptable identification; the signatures on the note and the photocopied ID must match. The authorized person must meet the requirements outlined above.

If a vehicle has been towed for violation of 72-hour parking, the registered owner must pay a fine of $168. All other requirements for vehicle release - current registration, valid driver's license, no outstanding parking tickets - remain the same.

How Do I Get a Job with the Ventura Police Department?

Are your interested in a career as a Police Officer, or in a civilian career as a Communications Operator, Records Clerk, Police Services Officer, or part-time Police Cadet?

We'd love to talk to you!

For information on current job openings, to submit an application, or learn more about the Ventura Police Department, please visit our Employment Page.

Need answers to specific questions or more information than is offered on our Employment Page? The Professional Standards Unit is ready to answer your questions. Just call 805-339-4468 to speak with Sergeant Jon Fournell.

Thank you for your interest in our Department and we look forward to speaking with you.

How Do I File A Citizen's Complaint?

A relationship of trust and confidence between members of the Police Department and the community that we serve is essential to effective law enforcement. Law enforcement officers must be free to exercise their best judgment and to initiate law enforcement action in a reasonable, lawful and impartial manner. In this regard, enforcers of the law have a special obligation to respect the rights of all persons when conducting such enforcement actions.

The Ventura Police Department acknowledges its responsibility to establish a system of complaint and disciplinary procedure, which not only subjects officers to corrective action when they conduct themselves improperly, but will also protect them from unwarranted criticism when they discharge their duties properly. It is the purpose of these procedures to provide a prompt, just, open and expeditious resolution of complaints regarding the conduct of officers and employees of the Department.

The Ventura Police Department, in compliance with Section 832.5 of the California Penal Code, welcomes from members of the community constructive criticism of the Department and valid complaints against its members or procedures.

Who Can File?
Anyone who is directly involved or witnesses an incident from which a complaint arises may file a Citizen's Complaint. In the case of juveniles, it is desirable, but not necessary, that the parents be present. However, it is the Department's policy to notify the parent(s) of the juvenile whenever a complaint is accepted.

Who To Contact
File a complaint online at

Who Will Investigate The Complaint?
The officer's immediate supervisor or the on-duty Watch Commander will conduct the investigation. In more serious cases, the Chief of Police may assign the complaint investigation to some other appropriate person.

How Thorough Will The Investigation Be?
Our objective is to complete a thorough and impartial investigation disclosing the truth. Every effort will be expended to satisfactorily conclude the investigation. This includes referring the complaint to an outside agency, such as the District Attorney's Office, where necessary.

Who Makes The Final Decision?
The Chief of Police, after reviewing all of the facts, makes the final decision on the validity of the complaint, and if founded, the discipline to be administered.

What Can Happen To The Officer?
If the complaint is founded, the discipline ranges from verbal reprimand to dismissal. If the officer's conduct was criminal in nature, the matter is referred to the District Attorney's Office.

Will All Parties Be Notified?
Both the person making the complaint and the officer will be notified in writing of the completion of the investigation.

If Dissatisfied With The Results, What Can Be Done?
If you, the complainant, feel that your case has not been thoroughly investigated and justice has not been served, you have several recourses. You may contact your representative on the City Council, the City Manager, or, in some cases, the Ventura County District Attorney's Office. You, of course, may seek legal advice from an attorney.

Questions? Contact 805-339-4317 or

When Do I Call 9-1-1 ?

9-1-1 should be used for emergencies only, when there is an immediate risk to life or property.

What is an emergency? 

Here are a few examples:

  • Crimes that are in-progress or that have just-occurred

  • Medical emergencies.

  • Crimes involving weapons (guns, knives, clubs, broken bottles).

  • Domestic violence that is in-progress or has been threatened.

  • Vehicle accidents involving injuries.

  • Suspect is still in or near the area.

  • Someone is loitering in the area.

  • Anytime you feel something suspicious is going on.

    When You Call 9-1-1 the specially trained Communications Operator who answers your 9-1-1 call will ask you a standard set of questions. Your answers help the operator prioritize your call and provide responding officers with the information they need to safely and successfully resolve the problem.  Some fo the questions you may be asked are:

  • What is the LOCATION of the problem you are reporting? In many cases, your phone number and address will appear on the dispatcher's computer screen. The communications operator will verify this information with you and seek additional details, such as office suite, room number, or phone extension. Cell phone numbers do NOT automatically appear, so be sure to give the dispatcher your phone number and location.
  • What is the TYPE OF PROBLEM you are reporting? Describe the basic problem as concisely as you can. This allows the operator to determine the type of assistance you need and get help to you quickly. WHEN did the incident happen? Is this incident still going on? Or did it happen five minutes, 30 minutes, or 24-hours ago?
  • What does the SUSPECT look like? Tell the communications operator as much as you remember about the suspect or suspects, including their clothing. A good rule of thumb is to try to describe the person beginning with the general (male or female, number of suspects involved) and moving to the specific (hair color, scars or tattoos, color of shirt).
  • Was a WEAPON involved? This information is very important, for both your safety and that of the responding officers. If you saw a weapon, describe it to the operator. Was it a gun, knife, club, or something else? Did the suspect have it in their hand, waistband, or pocket? Provide as much detail as you can. If the suspect said he/she had a weapon, or simulated having a weapon, be sure to tell the dispatcher that also.
  • Was a VEHICLE involved? Describe the vehicle (make, model, color, number of doors, distinguishing characteristics) and the direction of travel.

Help Us to Help You:

  • When you call, give the dispatcher all the information you have. Do not leave out information because you don't think that it is important. The more we know about an incident, the more effective we can be in helping you.
  • If you call 9-1-1 by mistake, do not hang up! Tell the communications operator that you called by mistake and that you do NOT have an emergency. Dispatchers must contact the caller on 9-1-1 'hang-ups" to be sure that no actual emergency exists. If the operator can't verify this information, an officer must be sent to check on the well being of the person's involved.
  • For our non-English speaking callers. Our 9-1-1 system allows the dispatcher to quickly transfer calls to an interpreter who can translate many different languages while the dispatcher remains on the line.
  • For persons using a TTY machine. Our 9-1-1 system automatically detects a TTY machine and allows the dispatcher to communicate directly with the TTY user. Reporting a non-emergency crime or need information?
  • If you are calling to report a crime that occurred some time in the past, or to ask a question, please call (805) 650-8010. This non-emergency number connects directly to the dispatch center 24 hours a day.

Contact Information
Emergency 9-1-1 Business Phone 805-339-4400 After Hours or Non-Emergency Phone 805-650-8010

Do You Make / Take Appointments? If so, for which Services do you do this?

Do You Make / Take Appointments? If so, for which Services do you do this?

Yes, below is a list of the various services that require an appointment for the Ventura Police Department:

  • Fingerprinting / Live Scans and bookings
    • Monday through Thursday, 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
    • You may schedule an appointment by calling 805-339-4400
  • Property Room / Property Release:
    • Monday through Wednesday, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
    • You may schedule an appointment by calling 805-339-4490
  • Records Unit (including Police Report Releases):
    • Monday through Thursday, 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
    • Call 805-339-4418
  • Register as a sex offender – 805-339-4442

The following services DO NOT require an appointment:

  • Administrative reviews, Vehicle Tows, and Citations – 805-339-4401
  • Register as a narcotics offender– 805-339-4425
  • Citations / Parking Citations/ Vehicle Impounds – 805-339-4401

For any additional questions please call 805-339-4400