Permits & Licenses


Welcome to the Ventura Business Tax Office!

Email:     Phone: (805) 658-4715     Fax: (805) 653-0634

Click Here to search Ventura Business Licenses (active and expired) 


Businesses Operating in the City of Ventura

Starting a new business in the City of Ventura? The City of Ventura welcomes you to its business community! Starting a business is exciting and challenging, and we want you to succeed.

There are many things to consider when starting a new business in the City of Ventura and depending on the type of business activity being offered and the location of your busness, there may be special permits and/or licenses  required. 

Detailed information regarding the City's business requirements can be accessed by clicking on the various topics below.  For new businesses, a good place to start is with the New Business Handbook (see link below).  This  brochure will answer the questions most asked regarding the staring of a business, other related permits and licenses, and different agency responsibilities.

Existing businesses can find links below to information regarding renewals or changes to business name, type, activity, location or ownership.

Contact Us

To contact the City's Business License and Tax Office regarding your business license, permits, bills and fees, please call (805) 658-4715.

Permit and license information can be accessed by clicking on any topic below.

Business License Information

A business license if an annual tax that you pay each fiscal year for the priviledge of doing business within the incorporated area of the City of Ventura (City).

The City's municipal code requires that you obtain a City business license PRIOR to conducting any business activity within the City - even if your business is located OUTSIDE the city limits or you have a business license from another city. 

Whether opeating from a commercial location or home-base and even if you conduct business on a part-time, limited, or hobby-related basis, you are required to obtain and keep current a City business license. 

Business License Information - Has Something Changed?

If you have moved, changed the name of your business, changed partners, added on or decreased your working space, incorporated…anything…you will need to advise us.

Some changes, like name or owner interest, may not significantly affect your business license, however, location or complete ownership does. It may or may not require a new certificate or a new Fire Inspection.


Hotel Transient Occupancy Tax Forms

Hotel's charge transients a Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) for the privilege of occupancy in any hotel in the city. The tax is  ten percent of the rent charged by the hotel operator. The hotel operator submits this tax monthly. The Municipal Code regarding Transient Occupancy Tax (Chapter 4.115) can be found on the City’s website at .

Door-to-Door Solicitors

As a business selling door-to-door in our city, it is important to understand and adhere to certain regulations as set forth in the San Buenaventura Municipal Code (SBMC,). These rules were developed to protect our citizens and help to ensure they are treated professionally and with respect.

We wish you success in your business venture and hope you find our city as enjoyable a place to work as we do.


Massage License Information

Thank you for considering the City of Ventura for your massage-related business.  Massage most certainly can be an integral component in one's physical and emotional well-being and we welcome you.

The City wishes to promote the ethical practice of massage therapy as an important healing art and to prevent and discourage the misuse of massage therapy for any other non-massage related purpose.  Chapter 8.300 of the San Buenaventura Municipal Code establishes a local regulatory system that allows only those massage profesionals certified by the California Massage Therapy Council (CAMTC) to operate within the city.  Consistent with state law, the City retains the ability to regulate massage establishment Certificates of Registration, health and safety issues and land use and zoning.


NOTICE:  The moratorium on Massage Establishments will be lifted on September 1st, 2016.  No applications for new or expanded Massage Establishments will be accepted or processed until the moratorium  has expired.

For questions related to this meeting or the new ordinance, please contact Assistant City Attorney Jennifer Lee at (805) 654-7818.


Application information and documents:

For more information to operate a massage establishment and/or provide massage services, call 805/658-4715 or visit Ventura City Hall Rm. 107, 501 Poli Street, Ventura CA 93001.

Pet - Dog & Cat - Licenses

Requirements for Ventura Residents:
Dog owners who reside in the City of Ventura are required to obtain a license for all dogs over 4 months of age. The City does not require licensing of cats, however, it is recommended for identification purposes should your cat become lost or impounded.

Where do I obtain a license?
The City of Ventura Treasury Division, located at 501 Poli Street, room 107, can assist you in obtaining a dog license through the County of Ventura Animal Regulation. Treasury hours are as follows:
M, T, W, F: 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Th: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

You may also obtain a pet license directly from the County of Ventura Animal Regulation by visiting their website at or by calling 805-388-4341 ext. #5.

What documentation do I need to obtain a license?
In order to obtain a dog/cat license you will need to show proof of the following:

  • Current rabies certificate from a licensed veterinarian or authorized rabies clinic
  • Certificate of sterility

You are not required to bring your pet with you when applying or renewing a license.

How much is a license?
The City of Ventura collects the licensing fees on behalf of the County of Ventura and does not charge a fee for this service.

  • unaltered male or female dogs and cats: $80.00
  • altered dogs and cats: $20.00

How long is the license valid?
Your dog/cat license is valid for 1-year provided your rabies certificate is valid during that time frame.

Specific questions regarding licensing, vaccinations, spaying, neutering, lost and found, should be directed to:

Ventura County Animal Regulation
600 Aviation Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010

Short-Term Vacation Rentals

Owners of residential dwellings located within the City of Ventura who rent their property for 30 days or less are required to apply for and obtain a Short-Term Vacation Rental permit. The primary purpose for this permit is to foster "good neighbor" relations between year-round residents and rental tenants, their guests and visitors.

For more information, please contact Noelle Sorensen:, 805-658-4773

View Short-Term Vacation Rentals Press Release

Taxi Cab Licenses

Thank you for choosing the City of San Buenaventura, in which to provide your taxicab service. Taxicabs provide our citizens an alternate means of transportation and also give more mobility to city residents with restricted modes of travel.

To ensure the public’s safety, the City has permit and licensing requirements for taxicab operators and drivers. Refer to Chapter 6.150 of the San Buenaventura Municipal Code (Code) for detailed requirements to provide taxicab services in the City of Ventura, and permit and licensing instructions, and Resolution No. 2003-029 establishing the fare schedule for taxicabs.

The information contained on this web page attempts to help the taxicab owner and its drivers through the permit and license requirements and is not intended to supersede any provisions of the Code. Should this information present any information in conflict with the Municipal Code, the Code shall prevail.


Adult Performer and Non-Performer Licenses


Contact Us

To contact the City's Business License and Tax Office regarding your business license, permits, bills and fees, please call (805) 658-4715.

If you would like to learn more about the City of Ventura's efforts to support business development and economic vitality in the City of Ventura, please visit VENTURAVENTURES.ORG, our Economic Development Department. Housed in the City Manager's Office under the leadership of City Manager Mark Watkins, VENTURA VENTURES is committed to catalyzing investment in Ventura and is a great resource for entrepreneurs, businesses, developers and investors.