Albinger Archaeological Museum
Museum at 113 East Main Street in Ventura reopens for the summer June 17, 2017
The Albinger Archaeological Museum displays artifacts spanning 3,500 years of Ventura history encompassing five different cultures (Chumash, Spanish, Mexican, Chinese and circa 1850 U.S.) from a single archaeological site next to San Buenaventura Mission. Named after Ventura Mayor (1969-1973) Albert R Albinger, the museum is built on the home site of saloonkeeper and early mayor Angel Escondon.
Displays of stone bowls, a tomol (plank canoe reproduction), shell beads, arrowheads, bone whistles, crucifixes, bottles, buttons and pottery inside the exhibit building are complimented outside by excavations of the foundations of the lost mission church, Native American barracks, well and the oldest standing structure in Ventura County—the mission water filtration building.
Open Saturday and Sunday from 11 am to 4 pm, June 17 to September 3, 2017
Located at 113 Main Street in Ventura,
Music at the Missions Display
The current exhibit called “Music at the Missions” celebrates the museum’s reopening with central display cases of historic instruments from the Museum of Ventura County collection – flutes, an accordion, violin and a Jew’s harp used by Native American Chumash orchestras and later ensembles. Interpretive panels cover the history of the guitar in California, music preservationist Jose de la Rosa and instrument making and performances by Mission Chumash orchestras.