Hazardous Waste & Toxics Reduction
FREE Household Hazardous Waste Disposal (HHW)
City of Ventura residents and small businesses (CESQG’s) are encouraged to visit these monthly FREE Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Events and take advantage of the opportunity to dispose of HHW items properly -- and avoid the risks associated with stockpiling hazardous waste (such as home fires associated with improper storage.) More than 200,000 lbs. of hazardous materials are collected from Ventura residents each year.
Typical Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) includes items such as: used or contaminated motor oil and gasoline, used oil filters, pesticides and fertilizers, paints, thinners and lacquer, pool supplies, batteries (automotive and household), non-mind altering drugs, fluorescent tubes and light bulbs (CFL's), cosmetics (nail polishes, removers, etc.) and many others. Remember, these items pose a serious threat to human, plant and animal life, and it is illegal to place in them in the trash or dump down the stormdrain.
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events are held the third Saturday of each month. There is no collection event in December.
- Appointments are Required. Please call (805) 652-4525 (Monday-Thursdays, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.).
- Appointment times for the event are from 9:00 to 11:45 a.m. and 1:00 to 1:45 p.m. at 15 minute intervals.
- In case of rain or inclement weather, event could be canceled. Every effort will be made to notify those with reservations of any change in schedule.
- HHW Collection Events are for City of Ventura Residents Only. If you live elsewhere in the County check this County of Ventura link to find the information on an event in your community.
- Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations limit 15 gallons or 125 lbs. of material that can be legally transported per visit.
- Non-narcotic medications are accepted at the HHW events, narcotic medications can be taken back to pharmacies or contact the Ventura Police Department to find out when they are holding a medical waste collection event.
- Needle Disposal is available through Ventura County Medical Center.
Used Oil Recycling
If you have only used motor oil, you can take it to any of the Certified Used Oil Recycling Centers in Ventura. To save these locations to your smart phone text the word OIL to 39798. Msg & Data rates may apply. Free oil recycling kits are available by calling 805-652-4525.
**For text messages you receive on your cell, please note:
• Call 805-652-4525 to obtain your kit today.
How To Change Your Car's Oil - Watch this informative video!
Check Out This City of Ventura Environmental Sustainability Billboard Around Town!
Before You Transport...
Federal and State laws prohibit these items to be disposed of in the trash, flushed down the toilet or dumped into a stormdrain. These products are known to cause pollution to the environment and may be harmful to human health in certain quantities. Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations limit 15 gallons or 125 lbs of material that can be legally transported at one time.
Materials not accepted at our HHW Events:
- 55 gallon drums
- containers greater than 5 gallons
- commercial or industrial waste
- compressed gas/propane tanks (small BBQ/camp stove containers ok)
- explosives, bullets, fireworks
- radioactive materials
- smoke detectors (you can mail them back to the manufacturer)
- Electronic Waste (free drop off available M-S at Gold Coast Recycling)